Green Christian are advertising two exciting part time opportunities to push forward our Joy in Enough initiative within the Church and the wider world. These positions are for a Content Editor and a Development Officer.
Joy in Enough is a challenge to Christians in Britain, and an invitation to all people of good will, to join in building a just economy within the ecological limits of the Earth.
Our current economic model is exhibiting signs of system failure. It is now characterised by –
- Escalating damage to the global climate and other life-support systems
- extreme and increasing inequality
- increasing levels of indebtedness, systemically promoted by the financial institutions
- the barrage of advertising and the relentless pressure to purchase and consume
- the lack of work-life balance: under/unemployment for some people co-existing with very long-hours working for others
- reduction in family time, neighbourliness and community involvement – the factors that contribute most to our well-being
Joy in Enough (JiE) is led by by Green Christian and supported by many other faith and environmental organisations, including A Rocha and SPEAK. Together we seek to:
- Reclaim a voice for people and planet in economic discourse. We will re-purpose economics to deliver a just and sustainable society.
- Read the signs of the times and make a critical appraisal of the prevailing model. We join in the international call to integrate faith, ecology and the economy, to which a growing number of Christian communities subscribe.
- Reflect on our sources of faith in order to find a true place for the economy in creation, to hear the mission to which the churches are called, and to engage with others who find themselves similarly challenged by their own faith or tradition.
- Form a vision for a genuinely sustainable economy which promotes ecological, social, psychological and moral flourishing.
- Stoke debate for change in churches, and with citizens, government and business, on specific policy measures to make it a reality.
Background reading on Joy in Enough
- An Introduction to Joy in Enough
- Reports from the 2014 Conference
- Report from the 2015 Conference ‘The economics of hope’
- The Project Brief for the further development of Joy in Enough” (May 2016)
- Update on Joy in Enough (JiE) for Green Christian members and supporters (May 2016)
- Report on the launch of CUSP: Centre for the Understanding of Sustainable Prosperity (June 2016)
New Resource: Engaging the Powers was compiled by Hamish Preston a retired school inspector and member of a church in Reading. It is a very useful and novel type of ‘electronic library’ of literature relevant to nearly all areas of the work of Green Christian and the Joy in Enough programme.
Hamish’s aim is to answer the question: ‘What is the main thrust of the author’s argument?’ Hamish says ‘I seek to convey this using the author’s own words and backing it up with some, but not all, of the data the author uses to substantiate his/her case. I am usually able to reduce a text to about one-fifth of its original length.’ (added Oct 2016)
Five Working Groups (WGs) discussed the different requirements for the transition to an economy that promotes well-being sustainably. More information on the five themes can be found on the Working Groups page. These working groups fed ideas into the issues which we developed and raised through our conferences in March 2014 and November 2015
Film – Enough is Enough
Get in touch if you want to find out more about our ‘Joy in Enough’ project by emailing email@example.com