To tweet the Joy In Enough conference: #jie_
Joy in Enough is a challenge to Christians in Britain, and an invitation to all people of good will, to join in building a just economy within the ecological limits of the Earth.
Our current economic model is exhibiting signs of system failure. It is now characterised by –
- Escalating damage to the global climate and other life-support systems
- extreme and increasing inequality
- increasing levels of indebtedness, systemically promoted by the financial institutions
- the barrage of advertising and the relentless pressure to purchase and consume
- the lack of work-life balance: under/unemployment for some people co-existing with very long-hours working for others
- reduction in family time, neighbourliness and community involvement – the factors that contribute most to our well-being
Joy in Enough (JiE) is led by by Green Christian and supported by many other faith and environmental organisations, including A Rocha and SPEAK. Together we seek to:
- Reclaim a voice for people and planet in economic discourse. We will re-purpose economics to deliver a just and sustainable society.
- Read the signs of the times and make a critical appraisal of the prevailing model. We join in the international call to integrate faith, ecology and the economy, to which a growing number of Christian communities subscribe.
- Reflect on our sources of faith in order to find a true place for the economy in creation, to hear the mission to which the churches are called, and to engage with others who find themselves similarly challenged by their own faith or tradition.
- Form a vision for a genuinely sustainable economy which promotes ecological, social, psychological and moral flourishing.
- Stoke debate for change in churches, and with citizens, government and business, on specific policy measures to make it a reality.
Background reading on Joy in Enough
- An Introduction to Joy in Enough
- Reports from the 2014 Conference
- Report from the 2015 Conference ‘The economics of hope’
- The Project Brief for the further development of Joy in Enough” (May 2016)
- Update on Joy in Enough (JiE) for Green Christian members and supporters (May 2016)
- Report on the launch of CUSP: Centre for the Understanding of Sustainable Prosperity (June 2016)
Film – Enough is Enough
Five Working Groups (WGs) are discussing the different requirements for the transition to an economy that promotes well-being sustainably. More information on the five themes can be found on the Working Groups page. These groups will continue to grow and flourish feeding on issues developed and raised through our conferences in March 2014 and November 2015
Get in touch if you want to find out more about our ‘Joy in Enough’ project by emailing email@example.com